There are many types of infant massage, but these techniques are most universal for soothing.
How to ‘I Love U’
“I Love U” stroke = clockwise
- Trace the letter “I” down your baby’s left side three times, from ribs to hip
- Upside down “L” by continuing your fingers across the belly at the base of the ribs from baby’s right side to left and down to her left hip
- Stroke an upside down “U”, starting low on the baby’s right side, up and around navel, and down the left side. Clockwise.
Infant Massage for Gas Relief:
- Hold her knees and feet together and gently press knees up toward her abdomen.
- Rotate baby's hips around a few times to the right. Clockwise.
- Warmth on the belly can be soothing.
TIP: Try microwaving rice in a doll size pillow case, which can be a soothing warm compress. Just be sure to shake it up and test it on your wrist for an extended time so it’s not too hot.
- A swaddle bath is soothing and womb like and makes bath easier, too.
Provide your favorite massage tips in the comments.
About Sarah Shoemaker: Sarah is passionate about removing the stress from the tiny moments in parenting. Trained in child development from top Harvard child development experts such as the late Dr. T. Berry Brazelton, having the benefits of an on-staff parenting expert, and a consumer insights process while working in a juvenile product career, led her to a consulting career centered on consumer insights, and now, Hummingbird Infant . It’s a passion project. Understanding infant development and what parents and babies are capable of is front and center. Drop her a line. She’s happy to email you all the good stuff.